Winter is a rough time when it comes to fitness and healthy eating. It’s cold, it’s dark, and there’s not much motivation to hit the gym since you can hide behind layers of cozy clothing. While most people get an dose of motivation around New Year’s, according to Time Magazine, “60% of gym memberships go unused and attendance is usually back to normal by mid-February.”
So how do you kick off the new year after a holiday fueled with “one more bite”? How do you create the right environment for your body to keep up with your resolutions all year long?
The answer: Detox. (And no we are not talking about a juice cleanse!)
See below as fitness and nutrition expert Amanda Obregon gives us 7 tips on how to refresh and cleanse our bodies both through fitness and healthy eating.
1. Hydrate: Drink water and plenty of fluids to moisturize your skin and body from the inside out. Proper hydration will eliminate toxins and elevate your productivity on a cellular level.
Tip: Try having 2-4 glasses of Kusmi Detox Tea daily to turn your metabolism and energy up. Divide your weight by half and drink that in ounces- i.e. if you are 150 lbs, 75 ounces is your minimum daily intake.
2. Go Naked- Mother Nature Knows Best! Choose whole, unprocessed foods. If you can’t picture it hanging from a branch, sprouting from the ground, swimming, or strolling on mother nature, simply do not eat it.
Tip: Exchange your regular pasta choice with quinoa or brown rice pasta. Great flavor but better for you!
3. Exercise: Resistance training is the fastest way to increase metabolism, regulate blood pressure, increase bone density and release happy hormones. Not to mention, it also gives you the hottest you yet to come. Compound exercises, such as squats, lunges, pull-ups, push-ups, shoulder press, and dead lifts can have you burning calories up to the next 36 hours. That’s right- the workout you do today will have you burning calories while you snooze tomorrow. Talk about a return on your investment!
Tip: Choose 4 exercises and do 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps with a 30-second break in between. Run, bike, or jump rope! Sweat those toxins out and enjoy a stronger, healthier, and sexier you.
4. Quiet Time: Our senses are on high alert all day, every day. Appreciate yourself by making some time to say thank you!
Tip: Take 5-15 minutes per day to either meditate or be quiet, preferably right when you wake up or right before going to sleep.
5. Let it Out! Fiber is important to get rid of toxins. Fiber not only helps regulate your body, it is excellent at escorting those unwanted sugars and toxins out of your body.
6. Dream it- Imagine It and Do It! SLEEP!
Tip: Make sure to sleep 7-9 hours daily
7. Laugh: Rent a comedy, call your best friend, whatever makes you laugh. It is a great way to detoxify from the day-to-day pressures of life!