With the onset of the current economy, it is more important than ever to be a smart shopper. And in my opinion, it doesn’t necessarily mean giving up on the luxuries you enjoy- especially SHOES! Instead, put more thought in to what you are handing over the credit card for rather than impulse shopping as so many of us are guilty of. Invest in one pair of killer shoes per season to infuse life to your recession wardrobe- they are the best way to update any look. This includes classic flats, sky-high platforms and ladylike heels.
One more important thing- to increase the lifespan of your shoes, make sure to keep them stored in a box when not in use and carry them in shoe bags rather than throwing them in your bag.
Check out my top picks for the smart, shoe-loving shoppers after the jump!
1. Nicholas Kirkwood Platform Pump, $664: Nicholas Kirkwood is one of the hottest new designers coming out of London. He has a really edgy aesthetic that is applied to classic styles like the pump. Thess turquoise snake-embossed pumps are perfect for making the transition from day to night. Find out where to buy at nicholaskirkwood.com or check out a black alternative at luisviaroma.com
2. Jimmy Choo Watersnake ‘George’ Ankle Boots, $1,020. An important staple for every shoe wardrobe is a perfect black bootie. Spice it up a bit with some texture, like these snake Jimmy Choo booties. Extremely versatile- you can pair these with a dress and tights or a simple jeans and tee ensemble.
3. Yves Saint Laurent Tribute Platform Sandal, $760: There is really no shoe sexier than a YSL platform sandal…so simple in design but perfect in every way. This is the perfect shoe to elevate a tank and jeans ensemble…the Tribute Platform Sandal comes in black, nude, navy, and a ton of other colors- you can even collect them!
4. Balenciaga Thong Gladiator Sandals, $895: Now that the weather is warming up, attention must be paid to flat sandals. These Balenciaga gladiators are a smart investment for the summer. Since they are so seasonal, find one amazing and versatile style to make your summer staple.
5. Alexander McQueen Patent Platform Pumps, $860: In your shoe roundup, please do make sure to have one standout, amazing, knock your socks off pair of pumps. These mirror pink peep toes by Alexander McQueen are the “fluff” of your collection- save these for a first date or big social event.
6. Givenchy Cutout Open Toe Ankle Booties, $785: Everyone needs a perfect black open-toed sandal. What is great about this style from Givenchy is that it is a year-round shoe- totally justifies the price. Wear them bare-legged in the summer and with tights come winter.
7. Dior Extreme Cutout Sandal, $780: All of you SATC lovers will recognize these Dior Extreme Cutout Sandals…I love metallics, and these are a great silver version that can be worked in to your wardrobe year-round. When deciding how to spend your hard-earned money, definitely consider ROI, return on investment, that is. Choose shoes that can be worn through every season.
8. Christian Louboutin Slingback Prive Patent Sandals, $541.67: A post dedicated to shoes would of course include the maestro, Christian Louboutin. Every woman should have a nude (patent or leather) pump whether its closed-toe or a peep-toe slingback- these are a MUST. These are versatile in every way and will most likely be the pair you wear the most.
9. Chanel Textured Patent Cap Toe Ballet Flats, $468: Ladies, a moment of silence…Chanel. Every girl needs a little Chanel in her life. The classic flats are universally loved and will last you many seasons (with good care). If its your first foray into designer shoes, start here- you will not be disappointed.
10. Marni Wedges, $355. Yoox.com is a great place to find designer shoes like YSL, Givenchy, Prada, Balenciaga, Chloe, and more. I am loving these Marni wedges on sale now. Marni is known for her architectural wedges and platforms. Like the Givenchys, these are perfect all year round and work perfectly with jeans or skirts.