Ciao! As the fashion-savvy women we are, a handshake and a simple introduction just will not do. No no. How do we get to know each other? By designers of course! I chose my top five favorites and two delicious covet-worthy creations from each line so you could get a peek into my fashion sense. My personal motto: Love is in the details and so is style. It’s what separates the ordinary from the sublime.
I hope you find a sublime piece (or three) below for your own collection. I can’t wait to hear from you all, and I look forward to our stylish journey ahead.
Read on for my top five favorite designers and to see the pieces from each collection that I’m currently coveting!
1. YIGAL AZROUEL. I fell in love with Yigal last year at his Spring Runway Show. He utilizes the softest, most luxurious fabrics I’ve ever felt and his knitwear and draping are superb. Designing for the modern urban woman, his concepts are feminine, functional, and sexy in a very nonchalant sort of way.
Pullover Jacket, $1,190. A cold-weather coat is like a new haircut. It can make or break your outfit in a matter of minutes. Ring in the chilly season with a sophisticated design like this one that will elevate your current wintry wares to stage 5 fashionista status.
Fair Isle Knit Cardigan, $645. Now this is what I call a cozy cardi. Here’s a list of all the places one can don such a sweater in wintertime: late night writing sessions during fall fashion week, to the bodega downstairs at 3:41 am to buy yogurt, on a ski trip in Aspen with a dapper instructor named Frans…
2. ALEXANDER WANG. “Street” is the term most often associated with this designing wonder-boy. Collection after collection, Wang wows us with edgy, hip-hop aesthetic that doesn’t try too hard and always keeps us wanting more. One of his greatest strengths is finding the beauty in imperfection and running with it. There is a lot to be said for that.
Shirt Dress With Draped Skirt, $395. Glam it up for a date night or tone it down for a day of gabbing and shopping with the girls. Either way, this slinky two-tone dress will leave you feeling comfortable, sexy, and confident. What more could we ask?
T Alexander Wang Fitted Baby Rib Racer Dress, $75. Scoop up these simple yet chic cotton dresses for your everyday picks. Treat them as a blank canvas and accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. With countless looks and a pretty price point, this will quickly become your go-to.
3. STELLA MCCARTNEY. I have great admiration for Stella. Her exquisite designs are expertly tailored and resonate with a subtle sexiness that isn’t about showing skin but about bringing out your personality from within. Years ago, I was vacationing in NYC with my mother when I spotted a pair of gorgeous chocolate brown pants with a starburst pleat at the waist and a small lime green zipper at the hip. (They were designed by Stella for her last collection at Chloe.) Something moved me. I spent my entire summer savings on one pair of pants. I still have the pants…
Wool-Blend Panther Intarsia Dress, $1,145. Cat’s out of the bag now. Move this ferocious beast to the top of your list before it’s gone; work it with Stella’s lace-trim leggings or thigh-high faux leather boots for an animal-friendly look that will make PETA proud.
Perforated Thigh-High Boots, $1,595. Alternate your leggings and daytime denim with over-the-knee faux leather boots. They’ll sneak right into your wardrobe and give you a super luxe look that has sassy written all over it.
4. HANII Y. Designer Hanii Yoon is a master at fusing vintage with modern. Don’t let the size of her line fool you. Although it’s smaller than some of her counterparts, this brand is a powerhouse. This line is for the indie girl who wants something different, for the classic lady who appreciates workmanship, and for the glam diva who can’t get enough of her coats!
Bumpy Leather Jacket with Lace Collar, $1,285. We all have our own fashion addictions. Mine is leather bombers; I could collect them like some women collect Louboutins. This Victorian-inspired number has a detachable lace collar (gasp) that will give a subtle energy boost to any fall outfit.
Minuet Beaded Wool Vest, $450. From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, the strong shoulder trend has been sweeping the style scene. Get concert-ready and show off your own interpretation with the help of this bodacious vest, a saucy faux hawk, and ruby red lips.
5. BALMAIN. Euro party girls everywhere are toasting to Christophe Decarnin who revamped Balmain and brought it back from hiding. If you’re in search of a festive party frock (or anything glam rock), this is the place to go. It’s all about the yin and yang here so if it’s a bit too raw for your tastes, try throwing in some feminine elements to balance out the masculinity.
Red Suede Buckle Low Boots. $1,195. Summon your inner rock goddess with these red-hot statement booties. Complete the boots with the following: black skinnies, vintage off-the-shoulder tee, and tons of ‘tude.
Quilted Leather Skirt, $8,195. This is the one of the season’s must-haves! Wear it with a boyfriend blazer, tank, and edgy booties or fem it up with a silk blouse and peep-toe pumps. Utter perfection.
– MARIA DENARDO