Love it or hate it, winter weather is upon us and it’s definitely the time to invest in this season’s go-to cold weather must have – the coat. With so many options it’s hard to pick just one so I’ve compiled a list of 10 different coats, all no more than $150, to help you choose that perfect cover-up to keep you warm and stylish all winter long.
1. The Moto Jacket: The moto jacket is everywhere this season and it’s definitely a trend you want to pick up. This jacket will add the perfect amount to edge to any look and is the easiest style to dress up or down. Whether you’re heading out to your favorite dive or on your way to a holiday cocktail party, a moto jacket will you’re go-to for just about any cold weather event.
Guess Madrid Jacket, $138
2. The Bold Color Coat: Winter does a great job of making everything feel dreary and dark and investing in a bold color coat is one of the easiest ways to turn brighten that mood. Layer over a neutral palette to really give some extra pop of color or create a fun and bright ensemble by tossing over a pretty blush pink sweater and light wash boyfriend jeans.
Modcloth Executive Producer Coat, $94.99
3. The Military Jacket: You can’t go wrong with a military style jacket. Classic and chic, while still tough around the edges, this jacket makes for the perfect all around topper for the season – and one you’ll make a staple for a long time. If you’re looking for inspiration, Burberry is a great place to start. They are the epitome of military chic.
4. The Plaid (+ Oversized): Plaid coats are everywhere this season and this gray checked version is one of my absolute favorites. One reason I love it is that it’s oversized, another trend that’s taking over for fall. While it may not for everyone, when styled the right way this look can turn incredibly chic. Believe it or not, this style is pretty versatile so you can wear this over tons of chunky layers or your favorite LBD. My only tip for oversized is if you’re worried about looking shapeless or bulky, keep your look underneath slim and unfussy. As for the plaid, well that’s just classic and sophisticated so that in itself can be paired with anything to add a little punch and a whole lot of chic.
H&M Plaid Coat, $69.95.
5. The Funky Trench: The trench is an absolute staple in any closet – if you don’t have one already, it’s time to invest. However, if you already do own this must have – or maybe the classic version isn’t for you – try one with a little edge. The faux leather sleeves amp up this otherwise lady-like piece, giving you a larger variety of ways to make this style work in your wardrobe.W118 By Walter Baker Keanu Belted Trenchcoat, $228; NOW: $111.99.
6. The Parka: I love me a good parka – I just about live in mine day-to-day during the winter. The reason why? It’s incredibly warm and cozy without compromising style. I love pairing this style with everything from my favorite jeans and tee to a work appropriate sweater dress and some ankle booties.
Vero Moda Parka with Detachable Fur, $115.69.
7. The Cape: I love capes – they’re so feminine and ladylike and a great winter topper when you want something a little more breathable. Coats are meant to keep you warm, but sometimes that warmth is a little too much and you want something light to throw on and this little cape is the perfect finishing piece. The Betsey Johnson isn’t a traditional take on the cape since you get an actual sleeve, however you still have that fun, swinging look that only a cape can create. If you’re looking for a great day to night piece, this is definitely the one.
Betsey Johnson Herringbone Tweed Cape, $123.90.
8. The Puffer: A great everyday coat staple is definitely the puffer. What I love about this one, however, are the upgraded details that make this coat more than just a casual throw on. The buckle at the collar, the faux fur neck lining, and the exposed zippers all take this from easy to statement making basic without taking away from its everyday wear ability.
Zara Short Puffer Jacket, $139.
9. The Bomber: Winter coats and jackets don’t necessarily come off as sexy and sleek, but the right bomber jacket can be just that. Typically less bulky than your average winter coat, this jacket is the perfect topper to show off your figure and to keep your look from turning heavy. Layer with jeans, try pairing with a sexy pencil skirt, or top off a flirty fit & flare dress. Totally versatile and totally sexy.
Kenneth Cole New York Carey Jacket, $106.80.
10. The Statement Piece: Every girl needs a statement jackets for those days where you just want to wear everything and can’t make up your mind or, let’s face it, you just want to be loud. This particular version is kind of your one stop shop – you get fur (faux), leather (again, faux), and color to give you a little taste of just about everything. Rock how you will – this one’s all about personal expression.
Orla Faux Fur Collar Detail Coat, $105.62.
Cold weather coats are a large part of our wardrobe so it’s important to really invest in not only a solid, durable, and stylish piece but also one you really love since you’ll be putting it to good use. My biggest buying tip is to purchase a piece that you don’t already have. Having both classic and staple pieces are the best way to ensure that you have all your winter events covered and to keep from getting bored of rocking the same one day in and day out.
Emiko Vaughn is a personal stylist and wardrober from Cleveland, OH. She currently co-owns and operates personal styling company Lageson & Vaughn with her business partner, Kirsten Lageson.