5 dates and still NO kiss

Home Forums Complicated Situation / Mixed Signals 5 dates and still NO kiss

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ciara

I’ve been on 5 dates with a 26 year old guy who I met online about a month ago. I’m 25. Every date goes well. We have lots of fun and the conversation flows. However, at the end of it, he always just goes in for a hug. He doesn’t even linger as if he may want to kiss me but is too nervous…we just hug and he quickly leaves.

I thought this meant he wasn’t interested and have started to think of him as more of a friend. But he keeps texting me and asking me to hang out–I’ve never texted him first once or asked him on any of these dates. The dates are also quite original and are not just run-of-the mill dinner dates. One time he asked me inside. We hung out in his room for a while but he still did nothing.

I have been thinking maybe he is just interested in a friendship. But he seems to have plenty of friends and is very social. I’ve also been on dates with him at least once every week, which I feel like would be a lot for a casual friendship.

Anyway, please help. I’m a bit bewildered. We are hanging out again on Friday so I will see then.

#427721 Reply
    Vanessa

Does he always pay? Does he talk about the future and what he’s looking for? Past relationships. Do you feel or did you feel any romantic/sexual chemistry with him? Does he call you sweet names on texts and compliment you? I agree, it is odd. You may just have to ask him. It’ll be 6th date so it should be ok.

#427727 Reply
    Ciara

No he doesn’t always pay and he doesn’t compliment me or call me sweet names. In fact, I’m not 100% sure these are even dates!

We did meet on a dating app though so I assumed he wasn’t just looking for a friendship.

I am not sure if there’s any romantic chemistry. I felt the most on our last date, but they also have a very friendly vibe to them. I’d truly think we were just friends, but I’m not sure I understand the point then of asking me out so frequently. I feel like there’s got to be something I’m missing.

#427740 Reply
    charlotte

Great news. Keep him as a friend. Why are all women in this site so interested in hooking a man for a romantic relationship? Friendship is much better. Seeing such high levels of desperation in a woman, a man is naturally tempted to use them for sex. Then..again the women are complaining on this site. lolz. What is a kiss? Go for emotional bonding and friendship instead. will last longer

#427823 Reply
    Pollyanne

Ciara,

Maybe he is just wanting to take it slow? Maybe this is how he operates.. That said you can’t really fight romantic chemistry, so if you are getting the friendship vibe then maybe that is all this is.

#427828 Reply
    Annie

yuck, he sounds downright creepy. just drop him. if he was attracted to you he could not stop himself from wanting to touch you. If he wanted to impress you also he would let it show. he’s weird, forget about being friends. that’s what girls are for . men are for love. be a big girl and walk away, NO EXPLANATION NEEDED.

#427836 Reply
    Pollyanne

“if he was attracted to you he could not stop himself from wanting to touch you.”

I don’t agree with that at all. It’s called self control, and believe or not some men do have it. My friends husband didn’t even kiss her til their 3rd date, she basically had to pounce him! lol. His reasoning was he wanted to take it slow, because he didn’t want to screw anything up.

Men who take it slow are not creepy!

#427841 Reply
    dauny

He is gay or bi-sexual, I think. I have gay friends and do not judge them for their preferences. They are awesome friends–the best. You even can get attached to and even love them in a certain way, and they love you in return.

The times I dated men who were like this were just uninterested in sex with women. It does not get any better. I had a friend like this in high school also. She dated a guy for a while and then found out he was not heterosexual but happening upon him with another man.

Either that or he’s just creepy as Annie said. I don’t want a guy with that much self control when he’s with me. He’s got libido issues. 5 dates is too long.

#428041 Reply
    Katie

Sometimes the guy is just wanting to take things slow or is being respectful. Maybe try to do some sort of physical touch, maybe try to touch his hand or something and see what he does.

Last guy i dated for 3 months took 4 dates to kiss me or hold my hand. I also started to feel like maybe he just wants friendship. But once we both got the courage to kiss, it was the most intense and passionate kiss I’ve had in a long time! We had intense sexual and physical chemistry.

Guy i dated before him took 7 dates to even put his arm around me. We had our first kiss also on that 7th date and we dated for 6 months.

So Id say dont automatically assume he is not interested romantically as some guys do like to take things slow. If you really want to see how he’ll react, if it feels natural, you can always try to make the first move.

#428044 Reply
    love

What kind of things u said and did on ur dates? My bf didn’t touch me at all during our first 3 dates and didn’t kiss me till our 6th. But he asked a lot about my thoughts in family and kids and he expressed how he could not wait to see me. I think if a guy is interested in u romantically, u coukd feel it.

#428252 Reply
    Ciara

So we had another date tonight. It went really well and I felt like it was more romantic than it had been previously. He was more touchy and kept trying to pay for stuff. But then at the end of the night, still no kiss!! I was sure it was going to happen this time.

I couldn’t stand not knowing any longer why he wasn’t kissing me so I texted him and asked if we’d just been hanging out as friends. He replied saying he wasn’t sure, that he liked hanging out with me, but wasn’t sure where my head was at. So i brought up that i assumed we were just friends because he’d never tried to make a move. And he responded saying he was worried it would have been impertinent to kiss me and that next time it would be a date.

Anyway, I still feel like I’m missing something. Who lives in the 21st century and thinks its impertinent to kiss someone on the 6th date? Ugh! He doesn’t strike me as an old fashioned romantic so i feel like he’s hiding something. Any further advice would be appreciated. thanks!

#428259 Reply
    Sin

Ciara, I think it is very strange that he has not kissed you till the 6th date. Are you sure you have not been giving out a vibe that you’re not romantically inclined? (I know you spoke with him about it but still body language could convey a lot). It could be your body language etc. There are times I am out with a guy and since I am a really friendly person (and if the guy knows that) then he has wrongly assumed that I was just being friendly with him whereas I have liked him more than a friend, but my actions have just been friendly.

And what is weird here is that despite the fact that you discussed about the kiss he did not try to kiss you, moreover you’re saying that he also mentioned that ‘he was not sure whether he considers you a friend or more’. I suggest you should keep it platonic with him (continue to be friends- he seems like great friend material and in terms of friend material, a total keeper) and date other guys. In case you’ll land up becoming more than friends, some day then it’s great, if not you got a great friend. It’s a win-win :)

#428736 Reply
    dauny

Run, run, run away. How much chemistry is there between you? Personally, I’ve got to have some heat going on from the very beginning, but it depends on the kind of relationship

#428744 Reply
    dauny

Well, actually, it depends on the lifestyle you want to have. Personally, I don’t look for somebody to be a stepfather for my daughter. She has a father and a stepmonster (excuse me..stepmother, I mean). She needs me to be focused on her, not trial and error trying to find and make relationships work. It is too stressful. I keep that part of my life separate from my family life. I’m happier that way, turns out. BUT, I have seen happy couples out there who have merged families. It is possible. Anyway…divergence…you might not have kids anyway. So, unless you don’t mind passionless relationships, leave sooner than later; or, just be friends. Have an understanding that you are just friends. I have an ex like that and it works beautifully. We are truly there for each other, but zero attraction. Been there, done that–wasted many years for that “spark” that never happened. You have to be equal in that area–of how important, deep-rooted, passionate, attraction is. Some people are hardwired

#428745 Reply
    dauny

hardwired to be “turned on” by particular things. I truly believe this, based on personal experiences.

#428750 Reply
    dauny

When I say zero attraction, I do not mean that we are unattracted or find each other unattractive, it is just neutral, like brother and sister. These relationships can be wonderfully fulfilling as long as there is an undrstanding that the “dis”attraction is mutual. Friends, will say..are you guys back together? Why can’t you two be a couple? I just say, no, we’re just better being friends…Well isn’t that what a serious relationship is based on? Hmmm…I don’t know how to answer that. It just won’t work because of our hard-wiredness.

#428785 Reply
    Jenny

Umm… The initial stages of dating SHOULD be more platonic IMO. The second you kiss someone, the intent is taken to a different place. The beginning is about figuring out if you enjoy one another’s company then if you do to the extent where you’re romantically inclined, you move to that next level of physical investments- holding hands, kissing, sex… But once that step is taken it’s extremely hard to go back so some people just prefer to take their time. I think it’s quite sweet to have that first kiss tension or that heart pounding excitement the first time he grabs your hand. I’d say the first 3 or 4 dates should be more a feeling of friendship and building rapport

#428807 Reply
    Amy S

Hi. Maybe you guys should drink some more on your dates. He maybe quite shy around women. Its not every guy that sticks his tongue down ur throat in the first few dates. IMO slow and steady is always the way to go instead of on here the next day saying I slept with a guy and I haven’t heard from him was it too soon lol x

#428833 Reply
    dauny

Amy S, how would drinking more help? Not sure what you mean…
    Doesn’t have to stick his tongue down your throat, but 5 dates is a long time. If there is tension and heart pounding going on, as Jenny says, then I agree. As long as that’s there–that’s great. And it doesn’t matter how soon you become intimate as far as hearing from him again. If there something there, you will hear from him again. The universe puts people in my life, and things go where they go. I do agree though, Jenny, that you can’t go back once you get physical–especially there is chemistry. If my daughters father, to whom I was married for 15 years, and I had waited and gotten to know each other, we would have realized we were not compatible–a cancer and a gemini–not a good match. However, we would not have had our beautiful daughter that we carefully planned 10 years into the marriage. Life is a journey of happiness and sorrow; but there is no love purer than between a mother and child.

#428843 Reply
    DUNDUNDUN

Okay, please don’t take Amy S’s advise. Drinking more is not going to help at all. Trust me I used to drink heavily with my ex, and that whole scenario was a mess. You want this guy to be genuine.

I would honestly just ask him what he is looking for at the moment, then you will know instead of guessing because it does sound kinda weird to me he hasn’t at least kissed you after all these dates. But, hey each guy is different, so honestly just ask him what he is looking for the next time you see him. Don’t ask over the phone you need to gauge his reaction in person.

#428855 Reply
    Boog

I think I’d be turned off by this. IMO, 5 dates is a really long time to not give a signal that you are interested in something more than friendship. Taking it slow is great, but you can still be respectful and take it slow while allowing someone to see that you are attracted to them. Even a little kiss with no tongue would convey interest.

I’d also be concerned about what this might signal about his personality in general. He might be a very passive person who never wants to make the first move, risk rejection, take chances, etc. His response to your questions seems like he doesn’t have strong feelings about anything–like he’s just waiting for you to make the move and will go along with whatever. To each their own, but that wouldn’t be the type of partner I’d want to get involved with.

See how he handles himself now that you’ve brought it to him, but if he doesn’t step up at this point you might want to friendzone him and move on.

#428860 Reply
    Amy S

Ha im not saying get blazing drunk, just a couple of glasses of wine to relax you both and enhance the mood a bit. That’s all it was a tongue in cheek remark x And I personally don’t rush to kiss a guy, they usually come onto me in that department before im quite ready and that’s a turnoff. Each to their own, if its not for u then u bail. If hes worth the time and your patience then give him a chance. x

#511780 Reply
    Beatrice

Just get drunk. Alcohol solves all of life’s problems

#511781 Reply
    Beatrice

Maybe he is a mormon

#511787 Reply
    Vanessa

How do you all go back so far and comment not realizing how old the post is?!

OLD POST!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
Reply To: 5 dates and still NO kiss
Your information:

<blockquote> <code> <pre> <em> <strong> <ul> <ol start=""> <li>