9 Months Dating- Do I accept nothing less or do I stay and be patient?

Home Forums Complicated Situation / Mixed Signals 9 Months Dating- Do I accept nothing less or do I stay and be patient?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jaylena

I’ve been dating this man for 9 months. Every single moment with him has been cloud nine. People say you meet people in your life who can bring something out of you and he was truly the person that brought out a different side of me. When I was with him all my problems seems to vanish. He was really an escape from reality. Every single moment with him was always fun times, great laughs and amazing moments. Although he has a very stressful job which he is responsible for the success of the company and basically is the face of the company he still manages to put some time aside to spend 3-4 days out of the week together. From the 9 months we were dating we have never made it official. He calls me almost every single day and text me every single day. We never had an complicated situation until recently…

He had went to the doc to get his broken finger checked as well as his liver and ect.. checked out but when the results came in he called me to tell him his doctor told him he had Chlamydia. He mentioned he hasn’t got checked for over 1 1/2 years.. During this time he had to contact his ex also and tell her the news and to get checked as well. At this point im an emotional wreck because I needed someone there for me. I had gotten upset and had an emotion break down telling him he wasn’t there for me and the least he can do is check up on me back sending me a text the very least. He responded with, “Nothing else mattered today” “He was focus on working on his goal at work and he was able to meet 95% of it” At this point I’m crying my heart out on the phone and mind you he has never seen me like this… He responds with, “He’s not good with emotions, this is why he doesn’t get in relationships” At this point I tell him he is selfish and he doesn’t care for me and his excuses doesn’t sit well with me and I hang up on him because I feel like he isn’t acknowledging how I feel. He calls me again, I don’t answer he than sends me a text saying, “I’m sorry for not being there for you today. I didn’t have the second to be able to think about anything else today. I know I could be better than this, its just not my day. Have a good night.”

Next day I send him this long letter basically asking him I need someone who can be there for me emotionally and I need them and if not its better to part ways now before I get hurt. He doesn’t address my email right away, by this time I’m fed up. I send him this text, “We had lots of great laughs and memories in the past nine months, but I’m looking for someone who can be there for me emotionally and physically…its apparent it’s not you. This is why I’m going to have to say good bye. He texts me saying, “if you want ever want to talk, I will be there, I may not be that guy at the moment, but I am also not a bad person.” I don’t respond the next day he calls me, telling me that he needs to talk to me and if im free after work. Later that day, he tells me he will send me an email because its going to be tough for him to say it. Obviously he’s not good with his emotions. As you can see.

(email)

I agree with the time we spent together was pure bliss, it was a relief and an escape from reality. I have no regrets. Like I said before, you are able to bring out the best in me, make me do things that I don’t normally do on a regular basis without anyone twisting my arm even.. To find someone that understands me, have an idea of my next move, makes time together more enjoyable, not getting into arguments kept things more alive.

It really touched me when you decided to come over to see me and take care of me even when I didn’t ask for it… I felt like you cared for me greatly, and that proved to me that you are more than just a friend. Although we never made anything official, our connection surpasses all that as it doesn’t matter what status as official or unofficial, what mattered is that I was able to see you every Sunday night!

Time flew by, we took off like a free bird, not knowing where this will end or where this is all headed, I didn’t care as I truly enjoyed your company. I have my challenges, I am not good with dealing with emotions as you can see we have more laughter than tears! It became real, and I had to make a decision as I am unsure if I would be the one that will have time to be there for you. I feel you deserve much better, You set your expatiations and by hearing some of them I feel left out. I am really busy, as you know what GSM’s do, but with me I put my company pretty high up in my charts along with my business projects that are coming up… I just don’t want to disappoint you when I don’t respond to your txts in a timely manor or if I am just trying to focus on other things other than being with you.

When we were on the phone when you were not at your best, I really wanted to tell you that I really cared and I want to say things that would make you feel better even though I am not great at it, I had to pause as I didn’t want anyone to get hurt. .. I am a long term kind of person and don’t like moving around in relationships after dealing with my complicated past. If I get into a relationship I strongly feel the next person its going to be the one. I don’t feel that I am ready to commit to a serous relationship. Just not right now. I don’t think I could give the extra attention or the support that you need, I have to juggle business, family, and more business and I will only have time for someone that is super understanding of my time limits.

If I had it my way, I would love to be able to see you and hangout again, but because of the strong emotions I am not sure if that is even possible.. if we can’t remain friends and take a step back so we could still keep the connection going somehow in a less expecting manor, I am really thankful, grateful and blessed to have met you.

My mind tells me that I need to let go because I shouldn’t accept anything less. But my heart tells me to stay and be patient with him and be understanding. What do I do?

#530590 Reply
    alia

He told you everything you need to know to move on. Good for him for not wasting more of your time. Five years could go by this way too, you know? You need to take care of you now. Go no contact and heal.

#530593 Reply
    Peggy

Hi Jaylena-It sounds to me like you two had a great thing going. I do not understand the doctor issue-he did not talk to you right away about it? Or you upset cause you have an STI? I think you stressed him with pressure and demands when he was already upset/busy. My feeling is the relationship would have gone on and you may have been the “one” but he now fears he can not please you/make you happy. If you want it to work you may have to say to him that you over-reacted. I also think that for a guy,his email was pretty expressive. I hope you get it figured out-good luck.

#530595 Reply
    Lekisha

Oh God!
    From this you could experience and learn a lot. He was a true player!!!!! The email starts with manipulation, and then dumping you. Surely this long email was easypeasy. Actions matter..again.

It’s time for a change and start healing yourself as alia wrote. I’m so sorry… You must be a very caring and giving person. I hope next time you find someone who will take care and give you everything that you need first.

Hugs,Lekisha

#530601 Reply
    amy s

I’m not seeing this guy as a player at all. I think he sees you as too high maintenance as all that drama with the std was over the top in my opinion. Why were you so upset about it ? And it doesn’t sound like you were giving him any support through it and then dumped him for not being supportive enough to you. I think this could be salvaged but you need to look at your own part in whats happened here and work out your own issues in all of this. x

#530602 Reply
    Soraya

Look, dump his ass.

This guy will end up alone.

#530604 Reply
    Bedazzle

You said, ” Obviously he’s not good with his emotions.”

Most men are not good with emotions. If you want emotional support, then go talk to your girlfriends. I am not saying what he did was right or wrong, but what I am saying is that you need to learn to handle your own emotional well being in a relationship. Most men will react by pulling away, ESPECIALLY if they have work related stress going on.

Also if you are overly emotional with a man, you do need to give a man time to process. Men do not think, act or respond like women. When a woman is emotional, he will go into fix it mode, not emotional soothing mode. Again that is what girlfriends are for. My guess is that you overwhelmed him with your emotional break down.

Based on your description of the relationship, it sounds like he was a willing participant and not a player. I think he enjoyed being with you and wanted to be with you, otherwise a man that busy would not make time.

I would suggest that you let the dust settle and get yourself collected emotionally and then talk to him.

I would also suggest that you read some books on how men and women operate. A quick easy overview is Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. I think your expectations of what a man can handle and do in a relationship are unrealistic. When you understand how men work emotionally, you can work with that a lot easier and not take it so personal.

This is going to sound harsh, I’m sorry, but I would also suggest that you learn to sooth and manage yourself emotionally. I think your reaction was a little extreme for the situation. It is not like you caught him cheating. He had an STD and has not been tested for 1.5 years and told you the truth. An adult would just get it handled. It is not the end of the world. As a sexually active adult, the responsible and safe thing for you would have been to get tested (both of you) when you started having sex with him.

Bottom line, I think you over reacted, but it sounds like he cares about you and I think this can be salvaged.

#530605 Reply
    Meemee

I really have to know what you are looking for in s relationship…

Career oriented men don’t have the time / energy to be your pillow or shoulder…. You need to be super indipendent emotionally to be w a guy like him…. I don’t see him as a player…

I am in a similar situation now, seeing a guy who made partner at PwC at the age of 31…every date is a last minute, and a few times I ended up waiting until 10 pm when he came over totally exhausted from work…when I asked about his first marriage, where the wife dumped him, his answer was the wife was always in a pissy mode when he got home…

You just can’t expect much from a guy like this… What are you looking for? That is the only question you need to ask yourself

#530606 Reply
    Bedazzle

Oh and when I say talk to him, I mean actually getting together face to face and having a conversation. This is an important conversation that needs to be done in person, not an impersonal email where context, body language, eye contact, etc are missed.

#530609 Reply
    Anne

You want a relationship; he wants to carry on as is for who knows how long. Can you handle that? If not, allow things to end.

And I agree that you were too dramatic. ..

#530614 Reply
    Jaylena

@Meemee seems like were on the same boat. Every date is last min also. His first marriage didn’t work out also because every time he came home he came home to a made women after a long stressful day of work.

I’m looking for him to at least “try” to be there for me and clearly in his letter he just says he can’t be there for me because of X reason.

#530619 Reply
    Meemee

i should add that i dont think, for one second, that this is the wife’s fault… It is more of a red flag on him if you ask me….How unattentive he is to her emotional need….So make sure this is something you are ready and willing to deal with….

#530622 Reply
    Jaylena

@Anne

At this point I think I need to recollect myself and have a clear mind. Do I want to put my needs and wants last? I believe if a man really wants to pursue you, he would go the extra mile to keep you in his life regardless of everything he has going on.

#530699 Reply
    Advice

He never made you a gf. That says it all.

You got frustrated because you wanted more and he didn’t,

He was quite clear in both actions and his email that he isn’t your man. If you choose to tryi to ‘fix’ this or settle, you will get more of the same.

Unfortunately you are looking for clues to make this work. Instead, focus on the facts. He liked you as a distraction .. But not enough to take it further.

#530700 Reply
    Meemee

what i dont understand is why did he asking ex to check but not ask you to check? Is he still sleeping with his ex? I would freak out with a guy who has STD though…. That would definitely be a deal breaker for me….

#704352 Reply
    tbc

he wants a causal dating non-committed relationship and you want a serious relationship. just move on. if a dude doesn’t make it exclusive by 3 months it’s because he doesn’t want to. I wouldn’t even date a guy for 9 months if he wasn’t my boyfriend!

#704353 Reply
    Devil’s Advocate

“If I get into a relationship I strongly feel the next person is going to be the one.” This tells you all you need to know. You weren’t the one. Just a distraction. Once it got real he was gone. And that email was breaking up with you BTW so what are you talking about hanging around and being patient. I don’t see where he says that’s an option. He can’t deal with your emotional drama and your expectations.

#704354 Reply
    Hannah

He’s telling you nicely he doesn’t want a committed relationship with you. All he can offer you is hanging out if you’re not too attached or emotional and can deal with that.

You can’t deal with that. As the STD issue shows, you want a partner and someone to support you. He’s making it clear you’ll never get that from him.

He’s had 9 months to come to a decision. His decision is that he only wants you as a FWB. He’s not doing to change his mind if he hasn’t in 9 months. You have to move on I’m afraid.

#704356 Reply
    Ali

While im sure the idea of having an std is not fun it’s one that is cleared up with a simple course of antibiotics. Why is this the end of the world ?? I’m totally baffled about your reaction. It seems to be honest totally out of line with the situation. Everyone wants someone who will be there for them when they need them but if you are this dramatic over a minor infection then he is probably thinking you are going to much more than he can handle emotionally. I would be totally overwhelmed by the way you were as well. I have no idea if he would have been moving towards serious had you not done this maybe he was looking for an out anyway but I think your behavior definitely scares him off.

#704365 Reply
    Pam

The original post is two years old!

#704368 Reply
    Hannah

I just realised Pam…urgh!

#704370 Reply
    anon

So in 9 months the only drama was you overreacting to an STD? Which is pretty big given all the implications of it. And he bails.
    It takes a strong woman to respond to a potential STD with a calm “ok, I’ll go get antibiotics. See you Tuesday for drinks”.
    I’d give it a little time, then see if you can’t salvage things. if he has that low of a tolerance for drama, he’s going to be alone for a long time. Plus you actually seem fairly low maintenance if the only time you got upset was learning about his STD and then having him pull back a bit.

#704412 Reply
    Kathy

I agree anon.. Finding out your sex partner has an std..

You usually don’t respond.. “Okay, all is fine, let’s go get ice cream!”

I’d like to know anyone who wouldn’t be somewhat UPSET by that news. And THEN he was kind enough to tell you he had to tell his ex.. Like that is something you want to know! And showed no kindness or interest in your welfare. Nice guy..

No, guys like this can’t stand drama.. Women have spoiled them and they’re wusses. Years ago nice guys would have apologized profusely for exposing you to an STD. But now, instead many guys mostly care about themselves….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: 9 Months Dating- Do I accept nothing less or do I stay and be patient?
Your information:

<blockquote> <code> <pre> <em> <strong> <ul> <ol start=""> <li>

recent topics