While your body may stay the same, the clothes you put on it can instantly add or subtract 5-10 pounds, which is why it’s important to be aware of dressing for your body and to be fully in-tune with styles that have an instant slim-down effect. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather look thinner by getting dressed over working out and dieting any day of the week!
Read on for 5 amazing instant slim down tips and for fabulous product picks to help you slim down just by getting dressed!
1) Graphic Prints: Busy patterns are super hot this season and can camouflage problem areas by forcing the eye to rove instead of honing in on one spot. A little secret to help you get it right is to remember that the taller you are, the bigger prints you can wear. Petite ladies should take especial precaution and stick to smaller patterns (like small polka dots as opposed to oversized one), which are more flattering and won’t make you look like your small stature is being consumed.
Yaya Aflalo Viola Dress, $374
2) Light Colors Head to Toe. Dressing in a single shade will create an optical illusion of added length. When you dress in contrasting shades, the eye sees blocks of color that can make you appear heavier and shorter. Women all over the world have relied on all things black for its well-documented slimming effect however light shades work just as well, and it’s spring time aka time to lighten up your wardrobe! Shades of white, peach and cream are clean and crisp and are great for smoothing out rough patches. Your ensemble doesn’t have to be comprised of strictly one color and you can pair items of varying shades like Kate Bosworth who paired a white blouse with soft pink scalloped shorts, a beige blazer and brown wedges- all by Chloe. When rocking a leg-bearing look, slip into a pair of nude pumps, a top trick for creating a long and lean leggy look.
Dolce Vita Madison Pumps, $136
Johnson Millicent Shorts, $130
3) Bring the Focus to the Face. Solid colored dresses with embellished collars are universally flattering and can easily transition from day to night, taking you wherever you need to go and keeping you looking and feeling as fabulous as possible while getting there.
Antik Batik Langoa Dress, $320
4) Wide-Legs with Pumps. This trick is definitely my favorite and will not only help you look thinner, it will instantly endow you with loads of confidence! When you pair wide leg pants (bell-bottoms work too) with platforms or pumps it creates the illusion of added height and legs for days since you can’t see the shoe. Fit is key with this style- the pants should gently graze the floor break in the front so you and see the tip of the shoe. To create the illusion of an even longer silhouette, go for high-waisted wide legs.
5) Belt It. A belt is a simple accessory that can radically transform your look and instantly create the appearance of a slimmer, more defined bod and a super sexy hourglass silhouette- not to mention, is an ideal choice to restore confidence and help you feel super sexy on those dreaded ‘fat days.’ Strap a belt around your waist to look longer or put it up a little higher to look taller and thinner.