For a young starlet who has spent most of her career doing teeny-bopper movies and TV shows, Emma Roberts has shown a remarkable ability to transition her wardrobe from the “cutesy young teen” category to a sophisticated, yet youthful style.
Unlike the many child/teen stars before her, who have been hopelessly typecast and have rapidly descended into career hell (only to emerge on Nick at Night reruns, reunion shows, or mug shot halls of fame), Emma has successfully made the transition to bigger and better roles. Fortunately for her – and us — her wardrobe has followed suit. Whether on the red-carpet, at a party, shopping, or out with her current boyfriend, Glee star Chord Overstreet, Emma has demonstrated a keen ability to create a diverse array of looks that are jaw dropping from head-to-toe. In fact, other than her arm candy, I seem to find myself staring at her shoes more than any of the other fabulous pieces she is wearing.
Emma seems to enjoy switching up her style and trying different bold colors, patterns, and trends, selecting shoes that either compliment her outfit or act as the standouts. Blazing her own trail, Emma resists the temptation to wear of-the-moment styles, like those insane thigh-high black high-heeled patent boots made famous by her even more famous and fabulous aunt, Julia Roberts. Even when Emma’s shoe choices are not intended to be the focal point of her outfit, it is hard not be in lust with her shoe choices.
Of her collection, sky-scraper pumps, wedges, flats, and boots seem to among her favorites, yet her varying use of these shoe closet staples is anything but boring. Varying heights, fabrics, colors, and small details make her shoe collection come alive and make me feel the need to stray from purchasing basic shoe closet staples (mostly in black) and begin having some fun with my shoe purchases!
ROBERTS’ RULES OF FALL SHOE FASHION ORDER:
1. Have Fun With Your Basics
Although Emma has been seen wearing her fair share of basic black shoes, each one is so different from the next. With each black shoe she wears, she proves that a black basic shoe can still be fun. With little embellishments, such as really, really, really high heels, peep toes, wedges, laces, and different fabric choices, you can transform any outfit by adding a touch of flair with what is normally a basic staple.
2. Focus on Contrasting, Rather than Complementing
Emma’s shoes usually get noticed because of the manner in which they contrast, rather than complement, her outfit. She achieves this look using different color and shoe patterns paired with contrasting outfits, e.g., the burgundy patent leather pump with the black and white dress pictured above. The dress alone is super cute. However, when paired with contrasting burgundy shoes, the overall look really stands out and makes a wow statement.
3. Step It Up
Emma’s street style is mostly made up of jeans and tees with different sweaters and jackets. Although this may seem like a pretty basic style, her shoe choices not only compliment these basic outfits but transform them, making them more edgy, fun and fashionable. Even a basic t-shirt, vest and shorts seem more edgy and stylish when paired with the funky Elizabeth and James wedge booties (as seen above).
4. If the Shoe Fits, Buy Them All
More than any other shoe, Emma Roberts seems to live in pumps. Pumps work great for Emma because they can lengthen and slim (although she is so tiny no slimming is needed!) her petite frame. Although she seems to have a plethora of pumps, no two are even remotely alike, varying in height, color, fabric, embellishment and so on. Although there may be a ton of new shoe trends out there, it is important to follow Emma’s example and stick with styles that work best for you, and then stock up on them!
Check below for some Emma Roberts’ inspired shoes featuring some of Fall’s biggest shoe trends and tips how to incorporate them into your wardrobe!
1. Patent Leather Platform Pumps: Get inspired by Emma’s Brian Atwood burgundy patent leather platforms to create a super sleek look this fall. Not only are platforms all the rage, but anything patent leather is a must-have for fall.
TopShop Swagger Patent Platforms, $124
2. Combat Boots: Laced-up boots are totally on-trend for fall. Try these Sam Edelman combat bo Penelope and Coco style seen on Emma above, for a grungy, edgy daytime look.
Sam Edelman Karla Boots, $150
3. Wedge Booties: Wedges are an absolute must for fall and provide a comfortable alternative to platforms when you need a lift. A style like these, similar to the Elizabeth and James style seen on Emma above, are great for getting in on the groovy, ’70s vibe that dominated the Fall runways.
4. Sling Back Pumps: Emma is a big fan of her black slingbacks. While they may seem simple, they add an effortless elegance to any look. Not only do you get instant fabulosity, but skinny ankle straps are a big trend for fall shoes… so get inspired by Emma’s Prada pair and don these budget-friendly alternatives.
Enzo Angiolini ‘Farrel’ Pump, $65.90
6. Metallic Pump: Emma’s silver metallic Brian Atwood platform pumps make her already fabulous Chanel ensemble really shine. Metallic shoes are super trendy this season and are a perfect way to add a fashion-forward edge to your look. Get inspired by Emma’s shiny feet with these affordable alternatives.
- SARA STERNBERG